The following terms and explanations may help you navigate through billing, your insurance statements, and expected costs of care. This will apply mostly to Commercial Insurance Plans.
- Premium: monthly fee patient pays to her insurance carrier
- Deductible: the amount a patient must pay before insurance will cover any costs
- Co-Payment: flat dollar amount due by the patient at an office visit (frequently $25, $40, $60)
- Co-Insurance: percentage of the fees allowed by the insurance company that will be owed by the patient
- Out of Pocket Maximum: maximum amount of cost to patient per year
- Plan Maximum: the maximum amount of cost per year that insurance will pay for
- Preventative Care: care to prevent medical conditions, such as a Well-Woman Exam, Pap test, Birth Control